Period swimwear looks just like regular swim bottoms, but it has a secret: a hidden lining that absorbs menstrual fluid and protects against leaks.
Why wear leak-proof bathing suits for periods?
- They’re great for backup protection at the beach. This type of swimwear is awesome as a backup for a tampon, sponge or menstrual cup.
- They are just like using a water-suitable pad. Period swimsuits give you the benefits of wearing a thin pad without the bulk or the waterlogged feeling you’d get from wearing an actual menstrual pad in the water. The result is that you can feel comfortable and confident at the pool or beach even when you have your period.
- They keep you prepared for an unpredictable period. If you think you might be getting your period soon but don’t know exactly when it’s coming (who does?), wearing leak-proof swimwear can give you much-needed peace of mind when you go to the pool or beach.
- They help you stay focused on competing. Period swimwear has been catching on and gaining a following among teenagers and college-aged women who swim competitively. It gives them one less thing to worry about so they can focus on upping their game.
- They’re appreciated by preteens. When girls enter into puberty, their period can arrive unexpectedly. When worn by girls who are around the age of a typical first period, this type of swimwear can save them loads of embarrassment.
- Regardless of your age, size or where you go when you’re wearing period swimwear, you can feel confident that your cup or tampon won’t leak and show blood on the outside of your swimsuit bottom– or that blood will flow into the water where everyone can see it when you’re swimming.
There is one brands of period swimwear that we recommend. Here’s everything that you need to know about seriously discreet-yet-effective leak-free swimwear.
1. Modibodi Period Swimwear
Approximate price: $95 to $130
ModiBodi started out as a developer and seller of period-proof underwear, and now they’ve added patent-pending technology to their swimwear range. Both of their swimsuit offerings, the one piece and bikini, provide light-to-moderate protection and can absorb about 1.5 tampon’s worth of flow, or 2 teaspoons or 10ml.
How it Works
All ModiBodi swimwear features Modifier Swim Technology. These swimsuits integrate three layers of protection to keep you feeling dry and fresh:
- The outermost, bottom layer is made of an extra-waterproof material that stops leaks.
- The middle layer is designed to absorb and lock in menstrual fluid effectively. It can hold about 10ml of flow.
- The top layer is made from a material that wicks moisture away from your skin. It also fights bacteria and prevents odors from developing.
While ModiBodi swimwear is designed to be absorbent, it’s also made to dry super fast once you’re out of the water. ModiBodi doesn’t reveal the exact fabrics used in their swimwear because they are patent-pending.
This ModiBodi Set Me Freestyle swimsuit is a one-piece style that features ModiBodi’s Modifier Swim Technology built into the gusset. This leak-proof technology lets you enjoy the pool or beach without worrying about leaks during your period. You can wear this alone on light days or as a backup to a tampon on heavy period days.
The bikini version of their leakproof swimsuit is called the Got Your Backstroke bikini. The gusset has patent-pending leakproof qualities. You won’t have to worry about embarrassing period leaks when you’re wearing this bikini bottom. The matching bikini top has removable cups, and you can find it in sizes up to DD.
ModiBodi strives to provide products for women of all sizes and ages. Their size range includes:
- 02 / Girls 8-10 / 4XS
- 04 / Girls 10-12 / 3XS
- 06 / Girls 12-14 / 2XS
- 8 / XS
- 10 / S
- 12 / M
- 14 / L
- 16 / XL
- 18 / 2XL
- 20 / 3XL
- 22 / 4XL
ModiBodi period swimwear can be worn at the beach and pool; it’s made to stand up to repeated exposure to salt water and chlorinated water.
All ModiBodi swimwear provides UPF of 50+, meaning the fabric provides some protection against the sun’s harmful UV rays.
To care for your ModiBodi swimwear, rinse it in cold water after use, then wash it when you get a chance. Hang it to dry. ModiBodi recommends that you skip using fabric softener because it can interfere with this period swimwear’s ability to absorb.
About the Company
ModiBodi garments are designed in Australia, but in order to keep down costs, most of their products are made “offshore.” They offer a 30-day, money back guarantee to all new customers. Customers are responsible for paying return shipping.
- Get 15% OFF on your first purchase! Use “MCR19” Coupon Code.
* Can not be used on Giftcards, bundle packs or clearance items or combine with any other codes.
- Free International Shipping on Orders Over $75 (US)
Once you own a pair of period swimwear, you’ll wonder how you ever got along without it. You can enjoy hanging out by the pool or lounging on the beach all summer long– even when you have your period. And if you’re a competitive swimmer, swim meets will be a lot less stressful. You won’t have to worry if a big competition is scheduled for the same day your period is due to start. So, if you’re looking for a new swimsuit, why not combine style with function and get a great new pair of leak-proof swimwear for your period?
- Ruby Love Period Protection Underwear & Swimwear | Full Review - May 22, 2020
- Reusable Cloth Pads – FAQ’s - May 20, 2020
- Top 5 Menstrual Sponges “Sea Sponge Tampons” – Reviewed! - May 15, 2020